WORLD BROTHERHOOD AND PEACE THROUGH POETRY RESOLUTION:
1969 DECLARATION OF PRINCIPLES
(From an editorial, Laurel Leaves, Spring-Summer, April 30, 1977 Reprinted in Laurel Leaves, 2007)
- That we, poet-delegates from all over the world in Congress assembled, agree that war is an outmoded way of settling international problems;
- That we, poet-delegates from all over the world in Congress assembled, hereby outlaw war as a means of arbitration of international disputes;
- That we, poet-delegates from all over the world in Congress assembled, vow to use the power of the pen and word against all forces and agencies that divide humanity, create discord, and cause or perpetuate causes, both internal and external, that facilitate against peace, conduce war, sow the seeds of anger, hatred, and discontent;
- That we, poet-delegates from all over the world in Congress assembled, agree to guide, motivate, and harness the rising power of youth and studentry all over the world to abolish all racial prejudice, discrimination, all religious bigotry and fanaticism, all self-promotion and aggrandizement, all narrow nationalistic jingoism and separativeness, all selfishness and greed, and everything that destroys and tends to destroy the brotherhood of mankind, the unity of the world and solidarity of the human family;
- And that finally, we, poet-delegates from all over the world in Congress assembled, agree to use our minds and our wills, our hands and our pens, our strength and our energies to give and proclaim the dignity of the individual man, no matter to what race or creed or government he may belong, so that his safety may be guarded, his human potentialities may be awakened, his life and proerty may be secured, and his welfare and happiness may be promoted. Furthermore, we promise to remove all conditions and factors that promote war, and these include poverty, ignorance, and disease, greed, hatred, and selfishness; and all the elements of separativeness and divisiveness. For thus, and only thus may we preserve a happy and peaceful world for all of us, for all our children, our children’s children, and all the futures children of mankind. Thus and thus alone, when we eradicate the narrow, selfish life of ego in order to give way to the universal all encompassing life of all humanity, all human beings, no matter of what origin, caste or origin.
Let us all gear ourselves, dynamize ourselves, all our powers and strength , our hopes and our dreams, to promote Brotherhood, Brotherhood, Brotherhood and PEACE, PEACE, PEACE of all mankind. Let us all now stop promoting ourselves, our rights, our personal successes. Let us rather promote Brotherhood Unlimited, Brotherhood Eternal, Brotherhood Universal and PEACE, PEACE, THE PEACE of all mankind.